Nationwide protests are expected on Friday, July 13, to protest an official visit by US President Donald Trump. Rallies have been planned in dozens of cities across the UK, including:
- London: march beginning at Portland Place at 14:00 and ending with a rally at Trafalgar Square from 17:00 to 19:00 (local time)
- Birmingham: Victoria Square beginning at 17:00
- Glasgow: George Square beginning at 17:00
- Leeds: Dortmund Square beginning at 17:00
- Manchester: Albert Square beginning at 17:00
An estimated 50,000 people are expected to attend the London demonstration, though the actual number of participants may vary dramatically. Smaller protests are also expected to take place around the country on July 13, as well as some scheduled for Thursday, July 12 and Saturday, July 14. Increased security measures and associated transportation disruptions (e.g. road closures) are to be anticipated in the vicinity of these events.
Trump is scheduled to arrive in London the evening of July 12 and spend most of his time on Thursday and Friday at Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire, Chequers in Aylesbury, and Windsor Castle in Windsor. He is then expected to travel to Scotland for the weekend of July 14-15. Tight security measures will be deployed surrounding all sites during his visit.
Individuals in the UK, particularly in London, are advised to avoid demonstrations and plan extra time for travel.
Copyright and Disclaimer