A fire in the Takshshila Complex commercial building in Surat (Gujarat state) has left at least 17 people dead on Friday, May 24. According to a spokesman for the Gujarat Chief Minister, most of those killed in the blaze were students attending classes at a coaching center in the building; the fire, which ignited around 15:45-16:00 (local time), was likely caused by an electrical short circuit, according to police officials. Firefighters were continuing to battle the blaze as of Friday evening.
Lingering traffic disruptions are to be expected in the area over the coming hours as the operation to extinguish the fire continues.
Individuals in Surat are advised to monitor developments, avoid the affected area, prepare for lingering disruptions, and adhere to all instructions issued by the local authorities.
Copyright and Disclaimer