Refugee rights groups are planning to hold rallies in cities across Australia on Saturday, July 20, to demand an end to offshore detention. A total of 15 vigils and protests are organized under the #SixYearsTooLong movement and are expected to result in some localized disruptions near protest sites. Events include:
- Adelaide (South Australia state): Parliament House at 14:00 (local time)
- Brisbane (Queensland state): Queens Gardens at 14:00
- Canberra (Australia Capital Territory): Northbourne Avenue and London Circuit at 13:00
- Darwin (Northern Territory): Parliament House at 14:00
- Hobart (Tasmania state): Parliament House at 14:00
- Melbourne (Victoria state): State Library at 14:00
- Perth (Western Australia state): Murray Street Mall at 11:00
- Sydney (New South Wales state): Sydney Town Hall at 14:00
Six years ago, then Prime Minister Kevin Rudd announced a policy to detain all refugees arriving via boat at offshore facilities. An estimated 800 people are currently held on Manus Island (Papua New Guinea) and Nauru.
Individuals in Australia are advised to monitor the situation and anticipate localized disruptions near protest sites.
Copyright and Disclaimer