The Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address the nation at the Red Fort in New Delhi on Thursday, August 15, to commemorate Independence Day. Multiple transportation disruptions are expected on Thursday, and ahead of the event on Tuesday, August 13, when authorities plan to hold a rehearsal. The Delhi Traffic Police will close several roads between 04:00 (local time) and 10:00 on both days, including:
- Netaji Subhash Marg from Delhi Gate to Chatta Rail
- Lothian Road from GPO Delhi to Chatta Rail
- S.P. Mukherjee Marg from H.C.Sen Marg to Yamuna Bazar Chowk
- Chandni Chowk Road from Fountain Chowk to Red Fort
- Nishad Raj Marg from Ring Road to Netaji Subhash Marg
- Esplanade Road and its Link Road to Netaji Subhash Marg
- Ring Road from Rajghat to Y-Point-Hanuman Setu
Authorities have also announced bus diversions for routes terminating at Red Fort, Jamad Masjid, and Delhi main railway station. Entry and exit at Lal Quila, Jama Masjid, Delhi Gate, and ITO metro stations will be limited on Independence Day.
Local media outlets have reported that over 20,000 policemen have been deployed around the Red Fort. Authorities have issued increased security measures in all airports, railway stations, and other public spaces. Associated transportation disruptions and significant traffic are likely. A heightened security is expected throughout the capital as well as in all major cities due to Independence Day activities and rallies.
Individuals in India, particularly in Delhi, are advised to monitor the situation, obey all instructions from authorities, anticipate transportation disruptions and a heightened security presence, and maintain flexible itineraries.
Copyright and Disclaimer