Health officials announced reports of suspected anthrax cases in humans, livestock, and wildlife in the Kunene and Zambezi regions as of Tuesday, October 8. Foreign diplomatic sources in the country have advised individuals to avoid all contact with dead animals in the wild as a precaution.
Anthrax is caused by the Bacillus anthracis bacteria and can be deadly, although not easily spread. Symptoms of anthrax contamination include small blisters grouped together, swelling, skin sores, fever, chills, nausea, and body aches. It largely survives as spores than can lie dormant in soil for years before entering an animal through a cut or wound. Most frequently, the infection results from exposure to spores from infected animals, dead or alive, or products from infected animals. Anthrax can be treated with antibiotics, but treatment must start soon after infection.
Individuals in the area are advised to comply with all government recommendations and to take measures to avoid the risk of contamination (e.g. do not eat beef). Seek immediate medical attention if any of the aforementioned symptoms are exhibited during or after travel in areas affected by the outbreak.
Copyright and Disclaimer