The Rail, Tram and Bus Union (RTBU) in Victoria is planning to hold a series of strike between Friday, February 7, and Wednesday, February 19. V/Line service in Melbourne and the surrounding area is expected to be significant impacted, with buses replacing trains between some stations. Public transport workers are planning industrial actions on the following days:
- February 7 – No trains will run between Bendigo, Echuca, and Swan Hill
- February 12 – Coordinating V/Line staff will strike for four hours
- February 13 – Operational staff at Albury, Seymour, and Shepparton will strike for 24 hours
- February 18 – Ballarat, Maryborough, and Ararat staff to strike for 24 hours
- February 19 – Traralgon and Bairnsdale lines to strike for 24 hours
Significant service disruptions and delays are anticipated along the regional rail lines during the strikes. Further information can be found on the Public Transport Victoria website here.
Previous strikes have been organized by the RTBU in December 2019 and earlier in January 2020, causing significant commuter disruptions. The union has been negotiating with Public Transport Victoria, as well as other operators, over wages.
Potentially impacted travelers in Victoria, particularly in Melbourne, are advised to monitor developments to the situation, anticipate transportation disruptions, budget additional time for travel, and adhere to all instructions issued by the local authorities.
Copyright and Disclaimer