Metro workers in Madrid are planning to hold a series of strikes from Wednesday, May 15, through Saturday, May 25, to denounce the workplace safety hazards. The walkouts are currently set to take place during the following periods (all times local):
• May 15 between 15:30 and 19:30 on lines 1, 3, 5, 7A, 9A, and 11
• May 18 between 09:30 and 13:30 on lines 2, 4, 6, 8, 10A, and 12
• May 20, 24-hour strike on lines 1,2, and 5
• May 21, 24-hour strike on lines 7A, 7B, 9A, 9B, 12, Ramal
• May 22, 24-hour strike on lines 4, 8, 11, and ML1
• May 23, 24-hour strike on lines 3, 6, 10A, and 10B
• May 25 between 15:30 and 21:00 on lines 1, 3, 5, 7A, 9A, and 11
While significant disruptions, including the potential cancelations of all services, are possible during the strike periods, authorities have pledged to keep 59 percent of train services during the work stoppages. Crowded conditions on operating lines and other forms of public transportation are to be anticipated.
Madrid metro workers have been held a series of strikes and demonstrations since June 2018 to demand that authorities implement appropriate measures for asbestos removal in the metro system.
Individuals in Madrid are advised to monitor developments to the situation, prepare for related transportation disruptions, budget extra time to reach their destinations, and adhere to instructions issued by local authorities.
Copyright and Disclaimer