A major fire broke out at the Church of The Great Martyr Saint George in Cairo in the early morning hours (local time) on Wednesday, July 10. Firefighters managed to extinguish the fire after nearly two hours of intervention. Reports indicate that several people suffered from suffocation due to the rising smoke. The building is reportedly heavily damaged. Preliminary reports also indicate that the cause of the fire is a short-circuit of a cable, which initiated a fire on the top floor of the church.
Increased security measures are to be expected in the vicinity of the affected area. Traffic disruptions are expected as the area has likely been cordoned off.
Individuals in Cairo are advised to monitor developments to the situation, avoid the area of the fire, and obey all instructions issued by the local authorities.
Copyright and Disclaimer