The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) has been deployed to the Cape Flats area of Cape Town, including in Bonteheuwel, Delft, Hanover Park, and Philippi East, in the early hours (local time) of Friday, July 12, as part of a three-months joint security operation with the police to tackle rising crime rates in these areas. The operation will take shape through form of cordons, searches, observation, and by foot and vehicle patrols; air support will also be provided. Increased security measures are expected in the coming weeks and months in the area.
According to local statistics, at least 900 people were murdered in gang violence between January and June 2019 in the Cape Flats area.
Individuals in Cape Town are advised to monitor the situation, avoid nonessential travel to the above area, and obey all instructions issued by the local authorities. On a more general note, individuals throughout the country are advised to adhere to the following recommendations:
• Remain vigilant at all times while in public
• Minimize travel by foot
• Avoid going out after nightfall
• Maintain a low profile and avoid any conspicuous dress
• Whenever possible, travel with a local guide
• Be extremely vigilant at ATMs and when exiting banks
• As criminals are often armed, never offer resistance during an attempted robbery; obey all orders given, avoid eye contact and sudden movements, and do everything in your power to keep the situation as calm as possible
• To avoid becoming an easy target, vary daily routes to reduce the predictability of your movements
• When driving, keep doors locked, windows rolled up, and all valuables out of plain sight; maintain sufficient space between you and the car ahead of you to allow for room to manoeuvre, keeping in mind that you are vulnerable when stuck in traffic
• If you believe you may be being followed, drive to a police station or other public facility, never home
• Park as close to your destination as possible when traveling by car, particularly after dark
• When possible, use a chauffeured car service; never use public transportation
Copyright and Disclaimer