The Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union has called for multiple countrywide demonstrations in railway stations on Wednesday, August 14, to protest the increase in rail fares. Union members are expected to protest in several major railway stations including most notably:
- London Paddington from 08:00 to 09:00 (local time)
- London King's Cross from 07:30 to 10:00
- Birmingham New Street from 07:30 to 09:30
- Birmingham Snow Hill from 16:00 to 18:00
- Cardiff Central from 08:00 to 09:00
- Edinburgh Waverley from 08:00 to 09:00
- Leeds City from 07:00 to 10:00
- Manchester Piccadilly from 07:30 to 09:30
RMT leaders have also called for all employees of the rail renewals contractor Clarke Chapman Facilities Management to participate in strike action starting at 00:01 on Saturday, August 24, until 23:59 on Sunday, August 25, and again starting at 00:01 on Saturday, August 31, to 23:59 on Sunday, September 1, to demand better pay.
A heightened security presence is expected near all protest sites, as well as localized transportation disruptions during the protests and strike actions.
Individuals throughout the UK are advised to monitor developments, avoid all protests and demonstrations as a precaution, and anticipate a heightened security presence and localized business and transportation disruptions around protest sites.
Copyright and Disclaimer