Multiple groups are calling on supporters to gather for "mañanita" demonstrations nationwide to coincide with Independence Day celebrations on Friday, June 12. Reports indicate that participants will be celebrating the country's Independence Day, protesting the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 which was passed by the House of Representatives on Wednesday, June 3, and some will also be denouncing the government's allegedly inadequate response to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. Recent demonstrations against the Anti-Terrorism Act bill have seen activists arrested. According to media sources, the Department of Justice has banned the rallies for public health reasons.
Reports suggest that mañanita rallies and activities have been scheduled in several locations including:
- Quezon City: Several groups will gather for a Grand Mañanita demonstration at the University of the Philippines (UP) Diliman on University Avenue at 10:00 (local time). An Independence Day unity bike ride has also been scheduled from 06:30 at the same location. Further, a motorcade has been scheduled to begin from Bantayog ng mga Bayani park at 08:00 to the Commission on Human Rights at 09:00.
- Malate (Metro Manila): A rally by students, teachers, and administrators of De La Salle University Manila will gather on campus from 09:00 to 10:00.
- Cebu City (Cebu province): A demonstration has been planned at UP Cebu at 10:00.
- Naga City (Camarines Sur province): A mañanita is scheduled to congregate at 09:30 at the Plaza Quince Martires. Participants will march to Plaza Oragon at 10:30. An additional rally has been planned at 09:00 at the pilgrimage city landmark.
- Cagayan de Oro (Misamis Oriental province): A mañanita is scheduled for 15:00 at the Magsaysay Monument, Plaza Divisoria.
- Zamboanga city (Zamboanga del Sur province): A mañanita will be held from 14:00 to 15:00 at the Senator Roseller T. Lim Memorial Statue.
- Dumaguete city (Negros Oriental province): Between 16:00 and 18:00 a rally has been scheduled in Portal East, Silliman Avenue.
- Baguio city (Benguet province): A demonstration has been scheduled at UP Baguio at 10:00.
Additional protest rallies and Independence Day celebrations are to be expected in Cagayan Valley and Bacolod City, as well as across the country. A heightened security presence should also be expected and clashes cannot be ruled out between security forces and protesters.
Individuals in Philippines are advised to monitor developments, avoid all demonstrations and political gatherings, anticipate a heightened security presence near protest sites, and adhere to all instructions issued by local authorities.
Copyright and Disclaimer