A series of demonstrations are expected to take place on Thursday, September 17, as nurses and healthcare technicians demand better pay and working conditions amid the ongoing coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. Healthcare staff across the country have staged protests over inadequate staffing, poorly equipped facilities, and poor working conditions, in urban centers in recent weeks. Thursday's protests have reportedly been announced at the following locations (all local time):
- Mohammed VI Hospital in Marrakech from 10:00
- The Regional Health Directorate of Casablanca-Settat in Casablanca from 12:00
- The Ministry of Health in Rabat from 13:00
- The Regional Health Directorate of Fez-Meknes in Fez from 13:00
- The Regional Health Directorate of Tanger-Tetouan-Al Hoceima in Tangier from 13:00
- The Regional Health Directorate of Beni Mellal-Khenifra in Beni-Mellal from 13:00
- The Regional Health Directorate of Oriental in Oujda from 13:00
- The Regional Health Directorate of Souss-Massa in Agadir from 15:30
Localized disruptions and a heightened security presence should be expected in the vicinity of the demonstration rallies. Clashes between security forces and protesters cannot be ruled out. Disruptions to medical services should be anticipated, though emergency services and treatment are unlikely to be affected.
Those in Morocco are advised to monitor the situation, anticipate transportation disruptions and possible disruptions to medical services, avoid all protests or demonstrations as a precaution, and adhere to all instructions issued by local authorities. Travelers should confirm medical appointments.
Copyright and Disclaimer